After the long, cold month of January, many of us are looking forward to warmer and sunnier days, and a special little holiday known as Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day is a holiday that’s celebrated here in the U.S. to show those we love (usually romantically) how much we care. Even though not everyone has a “certain someone” to spend this love-centric holiday with, that doesn’t mean they don’t get to celebrate or have as much fun as the couples do. This year Valentine’s Day falls on a Thursday, which means the festivities will most likely carry over into the weekend giving you plenty of time to celebrate with those you care about. We’ll give you date ideas, as well on tips for what to wear, do and watch in this mini V-day guide.
Whether you’re in a relationship or single, the following ideas will help to make this Valentine's Day (or Galentine's Day) fashionable and unforgettable.
Valentine’s Day Ideas for Couples
If you’ve been in a relationship for a minute or for a decade, Valentine’s Day is one of the days during the year that you get to show the other person how much you like or love them! Here you’ll find the perfect outfit to where, things to do and food to eat for staying in, going out or traveling out of town.
Even if you’re planning on staying in this Valentine’s Day with your special someone that doesn’t mean you can’t make the night or the weekend special. Make the most of this lovely holiday by:
- Making dinner together - Nothing speaks of romance quite like a homemade meal shared over candlelight with your special someone. You can either stick to your tried-and-true favorites or try your hand at something different like Filet Mignon or Baked Stuffed Lobster if you’re really feeling fancy with these 17 Valentine’s dinner ideas. And don’t forget the chocolate covered strawberries! Note: Just because you’re at home doesn’t mean you can’t dress up, if you plan on making an elegant dinner, dress to match. If you don’t want to spend a ton of money on a boutique outfit you’ll only wear a handful of time, check out renttherunway.com and get 20% off your first order!
- S'mores & Stargazing - Stay warm this Valentine’s day by snuggling up to your loved one and enjoying S’mores and hot chocolate around the fire, while you gaze up at the stars and reminisce about when you fell in love, your first date, your wedding day, etc. Stay cozy and cute, in this double hooded sweatshirt from our online boutique store, while you search for all the constellations you know.
- Exchange Homemade card/letters - Even if the hottest plans you have this Valentine’s Day are to stay up later than the kids to watch a romantic movie and pig out on popcorn, you can still make it special by simply giving your loved one a letter or a card that lets them know just how much you care.
You can find more “night in” inspired date ideas here.
Valentine’s Day can be a holiday that gets a lot of flack because of the amount of pressure it puts on the creating the “perfect date”, complete with flowers, gifts, an expensive restaurant and a night to remember. While we think the date should be memorable ( in a good way), we want to help break this stereotype by offering memorable date ideas that don’t break the bank.
- Recreate Your First Date - Or the first time you met, or kissed, or said “ I love you” for the first time, etc.
- Bowling - This classic date idea is always a hit. Bowling is the perfect marriage of silliness (those shoes) and light-hearted competitiveness. For a classic outfit, try these women’s boutique ponte jeggings and cute striped boatneck shirt, à la Audrey Hepburn.
- Winter Hike or Nature Walk - For the outdoorsy couple make the the entire day your date, by packing a picnic and going for a winter hike. Take in the the fresh air, beautiful vistas, and each other’s company.
- Don't Make Any Plans - If you are able to, spend the day just doing random things without a plan, rhyme or reason. Brunch, followed by laser-tag or mini golf? Sure. Spending the whole day in your pajamas and then dressing to the nines for a romantic dinner for two? Yes.Playing board games, then the movies, then boutique shopping? Why Not? Spending time with your significant other on V-day doesn’t have to be about setting plans and making reservations, it’s about having fun! For more fun date ideas, go here or here.
Galentine’s Day Ideas
February 13th is the official day for Galentine’s Day, according to Leslie Knope, our favorite fictional character from Parks and Recreation. Use the following ideas to spend the day with your favorite Gal pals and celebrate the friends you care about most this year!
- Karaoke Party - This can either be done while staying in or going out! Dress up as whatever singer/band in your favorite boutique clothing and be prepared to belt your heart out, sister! You can even have you and your friends go as a theme, like an all 80s songs night, Spice Girls, or different versions of your favorite singers (Lady Gaga, Madonna, Cher, etc,).
- Galentine’s British Bake-Off - British accents, baking challenges, and your best friends - what could be better? Binge watch your favorite Netflix show, The Great British Baking Show, while you and your friends have your own “Battle Royale”. You can find ideas on how to host your very own British bake off, here.
- Binge Watch Parks & Rec - What better way to celebrate Galentine’s Day then to binge watch Parks & Rec to honor the woman that started it all! Have your friends bring snacks and drinks and you supply the space. Hint: The Galentine’s episode is the 16th episode of the second season.
- Window Shopping - or regular shopping. Either way, spend the day with your girlfriends gawking at all those boutique women’s clothing stores you wish you could shop at or splurge and buy yourself a little something from a boutique store. Make the day fun, by rounding it out with lunch and/or a mani/pedi session at your local spa.
- Road Trip - As mentioned above, Valentine’s day falls on a Thursday so why not take the weekend with your single chicas and hit the road! Brit + Co suggests hitting up a local town you’ve always wanted to see, spending the day at a ski lodge or even just going for a hike. Pack your favorite snacks and appropriate clothing to enjoy a care-free weekend!
However you plan on spending your Valentine’s Day, we hope you get to spend it with the people you love and care about it. Don’t forget to #treatyoself and buy yourself a little something special from our online women’s clothing boutique, Simply Fate Clothing.