Can you believe it’s already the middle of November?! Which of course means, Thanksgiving is almost upon us and even if you’re not “dressing” the turkey this year, you’ll need to figure out how you’re dressing for this yearly celebration. Though most people across the United States are getting ready celebrate Turkey Day, everyone does it just a little bit different and even though it’s the same holiday, different settings call for different outfits. With that in mind, we’ve created an inspiration guide for whatever get together you may be gathering at this year.
So whether you’re enjoying a Friendsgiving, meeting your significant other’s parents for the first time, keeping it traditional or going un-conventional this Thanksgiving, we’ve got you covered(we’ll just leave the cooking up to you).
The Scenario: Traditional Family Thanksgiving
For many of us, when we think of Thanksgiving, a similar scenario comes to mind: Traveling to grandma’s or whoever's turn it is to throw the thanksgiving bash on Thanksgiving day, where you’re greeted by family members who you haven't’ seen you in awhile asking a bunch of questions, both welcome and not. But regardless of how many questions Aunt Kathy is slinging your way, you’ll want to make sure you look good answering them.
The Outfit: Modest & Comfy.
As you go through the various boutique outfit ideas in this article, you’ll start to see a pattern. No matter where you’re going for Thanksgiving, we want you to be comfortable above all else, no one wants to end up looking like an overstuffed turkey on Thanksgiving, even if you plan on eating like one. With that in mind, a modest boutique ensemble that is cozy, is the best outfit for a traditional Thanksgiving celebration. A couple great options that keep you comfy, without looking frumpy are:
- Pairing a buffalo check tunic with black moto leggings and low heeled or even a slouchy black boot for a minimalist chic style.
- If you like a little more color in your wardrobe, try a flowy paisley top. Flowy tops in general are such an excellent modest boutique outfit choice for Thanksgiving. Nobody wants to feel like they have to suck it, after they’ve just eaten their weight in mashed potatoes and gravy.
The Scenario: Meeting Your Significant Other’s Family
Meeting your significant other’s (SO) family for the first time can be a stressful situation no matter what. Add a holiday dinner like Thanksgiving and well, that stress can multiply tenfold. But it doesn’t have to!
Put your best foot forward when meeting your SO’s fam, by feeling and looking good. Feeling confident in your outfit, will make the first time meeting a little less daunting. Plus, your significant other likes you, so that means the fam will too, right?
The Outfit: Dressed to Impress, But Not Overdone
There can be a fine line between dressing to impress and looking overdone. There are a couple things to remember when making a great first impression, first is to stay true to your personality and your style,so if you’re not a dress person-don’t wear a dress! Second, less is more (it’s just Thanksgiving, not a red carpet event.) Here are a couple ways you can impress the parents, without overdoing it:
- If you plan on wearing jeans or pants, we suggest pairing them with a more fitted top or a high end modest boutique sweater. Peplum tops are great for shaping the waist, without making you feel cinched in. If it’s super chilly wear you live, try a boutique sweater in a soft color like blush or cream and pair with simple studs and a kitten heel.
- If you do love wearing dresses or skirts, wear your most flattering dress! Don’t have one yet? This ruffled charcoal dress with white stripes is not only modest, it’ super flattering and comfy! What more could a girl ask for?
The Scenario: Friendsgiving
By definition, Friendsgiving is a blend of friend and Thanksgiving, and it refers to a large meal eaten with friends either on or near Thanksgiving. Which means you may be celebrating “Thanksgiving” a few times this year, if you and your friends choose to have Friendsgiving before or after Thanksgiving. Since Friendsgiving is a little more of an informal gathering the clothes you wear should suit the occasion.
The Outfit: Relaxed
Creating a unique boutique outfit for Friendsgiving is super simple. Your friends are probably people you see more often than extended family members or maybe they’re your work friends so you see them everyday. Regardless, with Friendsgiving there doesn’t seem to be the same pressure you feel to make a good impression as you would in other scenarios. So dress in a way that plays up your best features, while still allowing you to relax and play some games with the people you care about. Additionally, a Friendsgiving allows you to have a little more freedom in your personal style and dress up like the style-maven you are, some examples may look like:
- Moto leggings, a mint striped double hooded sweatshirt, and a feminine take on combat style boots is a super simple, super cozy way to look cute and stylish at Friendsgiving.
- A cute graphic tee with a super soft cardigan and some classic chucks create an ultra cool girl feel.
The Scenario : Unconventional Thanksgiving
Planning on doing things different this year? Whether you’re looking forward to (gasp) going out to eat, staying in, or even going on a little vacay for Thanksgiving, you’re going to need to be dressed properly for it! Since an unconventional Thanksgiving can range from sitting in your sweatpants all weekend long to vacationing in the Bahamas, we’ll try to keep this list short, as not to overwhelm you.
- Staying at home - If there is no threat of family or friends stopping by to offer you leftovers...Wear. Whatever. You. Want! Seriously, live in your pajamas and a robe if it feels right!
- Going out to eat - Choose a festive, not-quite-New-Year’s-Eve outfit to hit the town in. Pro tip: Bundle up, you may be searching for a while trying to find a decent place to eat on Thanksgiving day.
- Vacation - The beauty of Thanksgiving is that it falls on a Thursday every year so most people get at least a four day weekend, some even get more. With four plus days to go wherever, the world is your oyster! Going somewhere warm? Make sure to pack a swimsuit, sunblock and a chic cover up. Check out Pinterest for more ideas on what to wear and how to pack for your specific vacation.
Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving Holiday! And don’t forget to check out the Black Friday Sales happening this year!